Oh man... another day where my browser looks like this:
Molasses spills are a real thing... I think I might literally be obsessed with this molasses spill in Hawaii... It's seriously blowing my mind. Well according to THIS article from Nat Geo the company had no contingency plan for a spill, let alone a large spill like this one. Some good news is that researchers seem to think that even though it originally suffocated all the fish it will in fact be a self correcting clean up since it's sugar... not oil. ALSO apparently there was a precedent for a molasses spill in Boston in 1919 and KILLED 21 people and injured 150. "The molasses rushed through the streets at 35 miles an hour, creating a swath of destruction." Apparently there was a book written about the disaster. It's now sitting in my Amazon cart. It looks like the plan for now is to just let nature take its course so we (as in humans) don't make it worse. Although there is the possibility of pumping oxygen into the ocean so that the animals can breathe... let's all reflect on how insane that sounds...
- Starbucks banned guns in all of their stores regardless of what state laws say.
- Apparently some other companies have banned guns too.
- Rachel Maddow had a good narrative about mass shootings in America.
- In the debate over "privacy" and "safety" does this website take it too far?
- Humans are not handling climate change well... duh.
- Colorado saved their beer from flooding.
- Remember how I said the other day that people in the field of EM are not always innovating quickly and keeping up with technology fast enough? Yesterday they were talking about using Instagram for the first time.... meanwhile people are Vining video of the Colorado flood. Always seem to be a step behind.
- Well maybe not always.... THIS new technology is amazing - a radar machine that can find heartbeats in rubble in 5 minutes.
- They Jersey Shore Boardwalk Fire is being blamed on impacts from Sandy.
- Speaking of flooding... What we still don't know about sea level rise.
|Boston Molasses Disaster of 1919|